Sunday, February 11, 2007

Poem for Mom


This was in Writer's Almanac today. Thought of Mom. I really miss her...

Poem: "The Psychiatrist Says She's Severely Demented" by Bobbi Lurie, from Letter from the Lawn: Poems by Bobbi Lurie. © CustomWords. Reprinted with permission. (buy now)

The Psychiatrist Says She's Severely Demented But she's my mother.

She lies in her bed,Hi Sweetie, she says.
Hi Mom. Do you know my name?
I can't wait for her answer, I'm Bobbi.
Oh, so you found me again, she says.
Her face and hair have the same gray sheen
Like a black and white drawing smudged on the edges.
The bedspread is hot pink, lime green.
Her eyes,Such a distant blue, indifferent as the sky.
I put my handOn her forehead. It is soft, and she resembles my real mother
Who I have not spoken to in so many years.
I want to talk to her as her eyes close.
She is mumbling something, laughing to herself,
All the sadness she ever had has fled.
And when she opens her eyes again, she stares through me
And her eyes well up with tears.
And I stand there lost in her incoherence,
Which feels almost exactly like love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home